Best drugstore shampoo brands: In this era where expensive and luxurious cosmetics are taking over the world, girls like us who want to shop pocket-friendly, are super grateful for drug stores. The main reason why they are a convenient one-stop shop for everyone is that they provide necessities and resources at a very affordable price.
Drugstore brands have improved their shampoo production game so much that now it is very difficult to find any differences between drugstore and high-end expensive shampoos. They work like magic on your hair while at the same time being easy on your wallet, to say the least. Furthermore, they are easily available at the nearest store and you can pick them up casually along with the other items on your grocery list instead of having to run an extra mile to visit a luxurious store only to purchase shampoo.
What To Consider When Buying A Shampoo?
Your hair is not just a part of your body, it’s also a big part of your identity. Therefore, to flaunt your hair, you need to make sure you pick out the right shampoo for yourself. You also need to make sure that this shampoo has all the right ingredients best suited to your hair, to make it healthy, shiny, and strong. So let’s talk about some of the main factors you need to give serious thought to before purchasing your favorite drug store shampoo.
- It is important to know your hair type: Do you have curly hair? Do they lack moisture? Do you have straight hair that gets oily very quickly? These are the kind of questions you need to answer before you pick out a shampoo. For example, your hair type will determine whether you should use a hydrating shampoo or a clarifying shampoo.
- Ingredients matter the most: Always read the label of ingredients on the shampoo bottle before you decide to purchase. This will give you a better idea about what type of hair the shampoo is meant for. Shampoos with main essential oils such as lavender, rosemary and peppermint oil are the most beneficial as they soothe your scalp, reduce inflammation and itchiness. They also add a natural scent. However, Shampoos which contain alcohol, are not good for your hair’s health. They make your hair brittle and thin. Likewise, if you spot Sodium Chloride in a shampoo label, you should not purchase it. Sodium chloride is just another name for salt, which is used to make the consistency of shampoo thicker. It has no benefit for your hair. Another ingredient to avoid is Silicone. Silicone only creates a temporary illusion of healthy hair in the short term, but destroys your hair in the long term.
- Another main element you need to consider is Sulfate. This forms lather and cleanses your hair from oil and other impurities. However, it is also considered a harmful ingredient as it robs your hair off from moisture. Therefore, you need to decide whether you want a shampoo with sulfates or not. Sulfate free shampoos have become increasingly common due to the benefits they provide to your hair. They are considered natural and organic shampoos.
- Other factors should also be taken into account such as wanting a shampoo for Volumising purposes, wanting a shampoo that can make your hair sleek straight, or wanting a shampoo specifically for the beauty of your curls.
How Did We Choose ?
We took secondary data that was already available on the internet such as customer reviews and ratings from beauty gurus. Simultaneously, we carried out our own tests and observations where we assigned each brand of acne patches to members of a group with different hair types, textures, and lengths, and then we asked them to share their personal experiences with the shampoos.
Top Drugstore Shampoos You Need To Buy For Healthy And Shiny Hair
We have carefully devised a list of shampoos that you should purchase for all the right reasons; that too at a very affordable price.
|Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo
|Maui Moisture Color Protection + Sea Minerals Shampoo
|SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo
|Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo
|OGX Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo
|Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
|John Frieda Volume Lift Weightless Shampoo
|Dove Nutritive Solutions Daily Moisture Shampoo
|Head And Shoulders Classic Clean Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
|Hair Food Avocado & Argan Oil Shampoo
|Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo
|L’Oréal Paris Total Repair 5
|Alikay Natural Shampoo
14 – Alikay Natural Shampoo
Other than containing essential hair strengthening ingredients such as jojoba oil, aloe Vera, and vitamin E, the best part about this drugstore shampoo is that it is best for all hair types. People with curly, straight, oily, dry, and even color-treated hair can get the best out of this shampoo.
- Many reviewers loved how this natural shampoo did not strip their hair off moisture completely.
- It is an affordable option in oraganic and sulphate free shampoos.
- Reviewers loved the convenience of the shampoo bottle.
- Many customers said that this shampoo lasts a long time.
Price: $13.99 (236ml) on Amazon
Price: $13.75 (236ml) on Walmart
13 – L’Oréal Paris Total Repair 5
This shampoo is designed to combat the five main hair problems experienced by all men and women. This includes dryness, hair fall, roughness, dullness, and split ends. L’Oréal claims that this shampoo has 9% protein concentrate which can help minimize all five of these issues instantly.
- All the customers loved the heavenly smell of this shampoo. It is one of the best smelling drugstore shampoo.
- Reviewers loved that this shampoo removed frizz from their hair and made it more manageable.
- However, it is not sulfate free. Some customers consider this an issue.
Price: $9.00 (375ml) on Amazon
Price: $6.58 (375ml) on Walmart
12 – Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo
This shampoo is the most budget-friendly drugstore shampoo for people with frizzy and dry curls. They have the two most nourishing ingredients; coconut oil and glycerin, which will keep your curls hydrated for days.
- It has earned 5 stars by 73% global reviewers on Amazon.
- This shampoo is sulfate and paraben free, therefore it gives strength to the hair.
- Reviewers absolutely love how economical this shampoo is.
- However, some reviewers have noted that the intense hydration makes hair greasy.
Price: $5.54 (370ml) available on Amazon
Price: $2.97 (370ml) available on Walmart
11 – Hair Food Avocado & Argan Oil Shampoo
Like its name, this shampoo is like nutritious food for your starved hair. It has all the necessary ingredients such as argan oil and avocado, which can bring your dull and thin hair back to life and make them shiny and smooth. This shampoo is also suitable for all hair types.
- It is sulfate free, paraben free and color safe.
- Customers loved the pleasant smell of the shampoo.
- This shampoo is also meant to strengthen your hair so breakage is prevented.
Price: $7.69 (530ml) available on Amazon
Price: $7.74 (530ml) available on Walmart
10 – Head And Shoulders Classic Clean Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo is the best drugstore shampoo for dandruff. For decades, Head and Shoulders shampoos have provided promising results when it comes to getting rid of flakiness and itchiness on the scalp, that too, at an affordable price. They contain active ingredients like almond oil, tea tree oil, lemon extract, and peppermint which are known to combat issues related to dandruff.
- This shampoo is dermatologist recommended.
- It is also suitable for all types of hair, including color treated hair.
- Reviewers are satisfied with Head and Shoulder shampoos’ guaranteed results.
Price: $12.98 (400ml) available on Amazon
Price: $5.47 (400ml) available on Walmart
9 – Dove Nutritive Solutions Daily Moisture Shampoo
This shampoo claims that they moisturize hair so well that they become five times softer and silkier. It also creates a barrier around your hair follicle so that it can be protected from heat, pollutants, and other stressors.
- This shampoo is for frizzy hair, and it prevents breakage.
- It is not sulfate free.
- It has a very strong fragrance. This put off some customers, while others loved it.
- However, some reviewers said that this shampoo weighed down their hair and caused build up.
Price: $6.49 (603ml) available on Amazon
Price: $8.78 (603ml) available on Walmart
8 – John Frieda Volume Lift Weightless Shampoo
This drugstore shampoo is best for thin hair because it adds volume to flat and lifeless hair after just one wash. It is formulated with the Caffeine Vitality Complex that increases your hair volume by up to 40%. If you pair it with the John Frieda Volume lift conditioner, your hair will look so voluminous and healthy, people will think you stepped straight out of a salon!
- It has a 4.3 rating from customers on Amazon.
- Many customers can swear that this shampoo really works wonders.
- It is not sulfate or sodium free.
Price: $6.69 (250ml) available on Amazon
Price: $6.69 (250ml) available on Walmart
7 – Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
Most of us feel the need to wash our hair every single day just because our scalp is too oily and we do not want to walk around with greasy hair. This shampoo is just the right fit for ladies and gents who face this issue. The Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo is best for oily hair. The main ingredient in this shampoo is tea tree oil, which has antifungal and antibacterial properties to protect your scalp.
- It is vegan and cruelty free.
- This shampoo works great in removing dandruff.
- It has a fresh minty smell, appealing to many customers.
- The shampoo liquid is quite concentrated so its usage will last a long time.
Price: $7.00 (500ml) available on Amazon
Price: $7.00 (500ml) available on Paul Mitchell
6 – OGX Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo
The OGX anti-breakage keratin oil shampoo is full of keratin proteins, which penetrate the hair and make it stronger from within, thus this shampoo is best for hair fall. It also coats the hair so that it becomes strong to withstand any breakage from brushing, tugging, or teasing. You will feel that your hair has become stronger, just after a few washes. Along with many anti-breakage ingredients, this shampoo also contains Argan oil which is best for hair growth.
- All OGX shampoos are sulfate free.
- Reviewers noticed that their hair not only looked healthier and shinier, they also looked longer due to the keratin straightening effect.
- Reviewers loved that this shampoo did not dry out their hair.
- Best for dry curly hair.
Price: $5.79 (305ml) on Amazon
Price: $10.65 (305ml) on Walmart
5 – Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo
Gently massage this shampoo in your wet hair and let the Aloe Leaf juice and Black vanilla do their magic. All the ingredients found in this Carol’s Daughter shampoo work together on nourishing your hair and making them softer, healthier, and more manageable. Most of all, this sulfate and paraben-free shampoo are ideal for dry and brittle hair, whether it is straight, curly, or wavy.
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla shampoo has a 4.6 rating on Amazon. This is higher than most drugstore shampoos sold on Amazon.
- This shampoo has a vanilla scent. All the reviewers agree that it smells amazing
- It is made with all natural ingredients. No harmful ingredients can be found on the shampoo label.
- It is also safe for color treated hair.
Price: $10.44 (355ml) on Amazon
Price: $10.44 (355ml) on Walmart
4 – SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo
Curly-haired girls always go through a lot of trouble for maintaining their beautiful curls. Some shampoos don’t hydrate curls enough, others tangle hair and some even do a horrible job at cleaning them. If you have curly multiracial hair, then the SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo is your heaven.
- Best for thick and curly hair. It contains coconut and hibiscus, which give you the shiniest and bounciest curls ever.
- It has a coconut fragrance..
- They do not test on animals, hence, it is cruelty free.
- Does not contain sulfate, parabens and mineral oil.
- Some reviewers said that it made their hair greasy.
Price: $6.84 (384ml) on Amazon
Price: $8.23 (384ml) on Walmart
3 – Maui Moisture Color Protection + Sea Minerals Shampoo
Enriched with sea minerals like algae and sea kelp, this shampoo is best for color-treated hair. These rare minerals will keep your hair dye intact while also nourishing it with the most vital substances, to make sure that your hair stays vibrant and luscious. So, instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a high-end shampoo just to protect your dyed hair, try this affordable and extraordinary option instead.
- Maui Moisture Colour Protection shampoo has a well deserved 4.7 rating on Amazon.
- Even though it is sulfate free, customers noted that this shampoo lathers well.
- Reviewers reported that this shampoo has a smell which reminds them of the fresh ocean breeze.
- It’s vegan, cruelty free and free of all harmful chemicals.
Price: $7.00 (385ml) on Amazon
Price: $6.97 (385ml) on Walmart
2 – Monday Gentle Shampoo
As its name suggests, this shampoo is gentle on your hair. This means that it does not contain any harsh chemicals or ingredients that would harm your hair in the slyest ways. It not only cleans your hair from buildup, but it also brings moisture to your hair, protects it from heat, and makes it smell aromatic.
- This shampoo is cruelty free and vegan.
- It has a luxurious scent, with a blend of coconut, Shea
- Makes hair silky, combats dandruff, and makes hair look fuller as well.
- Customers appreciated the aesthetic packaging of this shampoo.
- Monday Gentle Shampoo is free of sulfates and parabens. It is also dermatologically tested.
Price: $4.97 354(ml) on Walmart
Price: $6.69 354(ml) on Target
1 – Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo
We’re all familiar with acne on our skin, but unfortunately, some of us have also had a nasty experience with acne on our scalp. Scalp acne causes itchiness, pain, and discomfort. If you are experiencing scalp acne and want a budget-friendly option but also an option that will give you guaranteed results, then the Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo is your best best. It contains salicylic acid, an active ingredient that not only dissolves the dead skin on pimples, but also reduces redness, swelling, and inflammation.
- This shampoo is free of added color, preservatives and fragrance, therefore this shampoo is best for scalp acne.
- Highly recommended by dermatologists for scalp acne.
- Some reviewers use it twice a day, but it is also gentle enough for everyday use.
- Reviewers with oily hair said that this shampoo works best on their hair.
Price: $18.00 (133ml) on Amazon
Price: $12.59 (133ml) on Walmart
Q: Can cheap shampoos damage hair?
A: No, the price has nothing to do with good or bad shampoo. What matters is the ingredients. Make sure you thoroughly read the label before purchasing a shampoo.
Q: Which shampoo brand is best?
A: Our article contains some of the best drugstore shampoos available on the market. Read the entire article to find out.