Ways to Style Your Boyfriend’s Hair. Boys like being shaggy. If left unchecked and unpestered, most turn into cave dwellers. A style-conscious man that goes to great pains to look well-presented is a rarity. So, unless you’ve been blessed to be the companion of the aforementioned man, you will find what we have to say important.
It is important to consider a number of factors while selecting the best hairstyle for him, which include his personal tastes, daily lifestyle, and maintenance of the hairstyle after the initial cut. Fortunately, there are tons of haircuts to choose from that will bring out his best features and usher him into the world as a New Man.
Styling Boyfriend’s Hair: Tips, Tricks and Much More
The Covid-19 pandemic has completely upended our normal lives. People have been gravitating towards a risk-free, no-fuss lifestyle that involves working from home, sparse outside trips, and a lot of DIY-ing. Activities and tasks which ordinarily took money and time are now achieved at home with the help of tutorials and self-help books. Cutting and styling hair are one of such tasks. Like hundreds of other businesses, salons are closed in quarantine.
For women whose boyfriends possess cavemen tendencies, this is troubling news.
Tips on How to Style Your Boyfriend’s Hair
If you, dear reader, are in the same boat too, you might have come across the following questions on the internet:
- How can I make my boyfriend more fashionable?
- How can I cut his hair at home?
- How can I buzz my partner’s hair?
- Which clippers/scissors/tools should I use to cut my boyfriend’s hair?
Luckily, we’ve done our best to tackle these questions and come up with a fun post that’ll hopefully benefit you and your partner in the future. Want to explore more about hairstyling? Take a look at Hairstyles for College Guys.
- Be Convincing: The first step is purely psychological. If he doesn’t agree to an impromptu cutting/styling session, that means he’s reluctant to let you touch his hair. Growing out hair isn’t the problem unless it turns into a wild mane or he feels uncomfortable with the growth. So, you have got to convince him that letting you do it is his best option. Don’t nag; that always falls on deaf ears. Be creative about it and let him know you can do this. If you appear as if you know what you’re doing, he might actually let you do it.
- Do Your Research, Watch Tutorials: Determination and research might not guarantee a good result; no amount of tutorials can give you the hours of experience and deftness of a professional barber. However, in your case, going into it blind is the worst thing you can do. So, go on youtube and watch as many videos as you can. Read up on the subject. For added benefit, do it with your boyfriend. That way, you two can consult each other during the actual process, and he can give you his input. You can take some hairstyling inspiration from Latest Hairstyles for Men.
- Determine Facial Shape & Suitable Hair Styles: You might not want to miss the next two steps, as they’ll simplify the styling process significantly. As we all know, faces come in different shapes. Face shapes can be round, oblong, triangular, square, oval, heart-shaped, and diamond-shaped. For each of these various types, there are specific styles and cuts that suit them. You and your partner need to figure out what shape his face is, and then look for appropriate styling options.
- Determine Hair Texture & Suitable Hair Styles: The second thing you need to figure out is what texture and type his hair is and what styling options you have based on that. His hair might be thick or thin. He might have straight hair of any consistency, or his hair might be curly or wavy. g Obviously, there are things you can do to straight hair that just aren’t possible with curly hair.
- Get Him Stocked On Hair Products: This might be the easiest and best thing you can do for him. Go to Amazon or any reputable website and look for hair products based on their reviews or best-selling status. Never compromise on quality. The type of products you can get him stocked on are basic tools like clippers, hair scissors, hair gels, etc.
- Basic Haircuts You Can Give: The two basic cuts you can give are a simple trim and a buzzcut. We’ll detail a couple more styles you can try with basic instructions down below.
Low-Maintenance Hairstyles for Men in Quarantine
↓ 5 – Basic Trimming
This is the easiest and quickest thing you can do to tidy up your man’s hair. A good trim is a quick-fix and also an excellent way to maintain hair growth. You can do this on both wet and dry hair.
What You Need: A good set of clippers or hair scissors.
How to Do It:
- Comb the hair down.
- Trim the edges of the hair using your fingers to keep the hair in place and using scissors to cut them.
- Use clippers to neaten the neckline.
↓ 4 – Buzzcut
Buzzcuts refers to a variety of hairstyles in which the hair is shorn very close to the head. It’s done with clippers, and the guard length of the clippers decides how close-cut your hair is going to be. It’s an incredible low-maintenance hairstyle that is quick and efficient. It tends to look good on most men and can be done on any type of hair. It’s also a great style for men who suffer from baldness or receding hairlines. There are many different and complicated kinds of buzzcuts, but for our purposes, the simplest one will do.
What You Need: Clippers!
How to Do It:
- You and your partner need to decide what length your buzzcut is going to be. Based on that, select the guard on your clippers.
- Move methodically from either back to front, as in this video, or front to back. It works both ways.
↓ 3 – Undercut
This hairstyle is a favourite for many men and so choosing it for your boyfriend ensures that he will be trendy all year long. The undercut style is done by leaving some hair at the top of the head, at least two inches, while cutting the hair at the back and sides of the head much shorter. The remaining hair can then be fashioned as desired, with the most popular styles being a textured quiff, spikes, pompadour, curls, or even having the hair slicked back. In addition, this hairstyle e gives your boyfriend a chance to change their hairstyle as often as they want while maintaining the basic look of the undercut style.
What You Need: Clippers!
How to Do It: Watch this awesome step-by-step video by The Salon Guy to learn how to do a basic undercut!
↓ 2 – Clean Shave
Your boyfriend can do this himself too, but if he doesn’t want to, your job will be to convince him. A clean shave is essentially a fresh start for unruly, overgrown hair or a life-saving and confidence-boosting solution for people afflicted with baldness and receding hairlines. The hair will take a couple of months to grow back, by which point you can probably book an appointment with a professional at a salon and get the style you desperately want.
What You Need:
- Shaving Gel
How to Do It:
- Whatever length of your hair, you need to trim it first with clippers.
- Apply shaving gel all over your scalp.
- Make sure the blade you’re using isn’t dull, and don’t apply too much pressure while shaving.
- Use light strokes to shave along the contours of the scalp.
- Keep rinsing your blade during the process.
- If there’s an area that needs a reshave, apply the gel again.
- Towel the gel off and moisturize your scalp with a lotion, etc.
For further tips, check out this video, where an experienced head-shaver breaks it down for beginners.
↓ 1 – Flowing Locks
If you’ve always been reluctant about having long hair, quarantine might be the best time to try it out! Whatever texture your hair may be, long flowy hair looks undeniably attractive on men. Glorious things can be achieved with long hair if you just try. You can make a bun, a ponytail, or even a braid. Man buns are homing beacons; just ask women. They love a good man bun. Once your boyfriend grows his hair out, you can help him style it into anything he likes! In the meantime, you need to get him good hair products, so the hair isn’t neglected and messy all the time.
What You Need: Patience!
How to Do It: Use quality hair care products and be nice to your hair.
This is an actual picture of a girlfriend playing with her boyfriend’s hair.
Now that we’re done listing what you can do and how you can do it let’s take a look at the tools you might need.
Best Hair Products for Men
Here are a few best-selling hair products for men available on Amazon:
WAHL 79434 Clipper
The clipper can work cordless.
Equinox Professional Razor Edge Cutting Scissors
The length of these scissors is 6.5," and they work great on all types of hair.
ECO Style Professional Styling Gel
The gel doesn't flake.
Nourishes and strengthens hair.
Pura D'Or Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Shampoo & Conditioner
Works for all types of hair.
↓ 5 – Pura D’Or Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Shampoo & Conditioner
Healthy and strong hair is the basis for every good hairstyle. You must strive to make your hair as fuller as possible by buying shampoos and conditioners that promote hair growth. Pura d’Or’s shampoo and conditioner set is a best-seller on Amazon, and there’s a reason why.
Rating on Amazon: 4.3/5
- It works for all types of hair.
- It is sulfate-free.
- It promotes thicker hair by stimulating hair follicles.
- The formula is vegan, 100% natural, and cruelty-free.
↓ 4 – Moroccanoil Treatment
This is a beauty product recommended by professionals. It works for both men and women, and any kind of hair. It’s a treatment oil that has argan oil and hair-boosting vitamins. It can be applied on dry as well as damp hair and works as a primer, conditioner, and shiner.
Rating on Amazon: 4.8/5
- Nourishes and strengthens hair.
- It gets absorbed into the hair quickly without leaving grease.
- It’s excellent for hairstyling as it makes the hair smooth and manageable.
- It has a pleasant floral scent.
↓ 3 – ECO Style Professional Styling Gel
This styling gel contains 100% olive oil. It can be applied as desired to both dry and wet hair. It’s alcohol-free and works on all hair types.
Rating on Amazon: 4.6/5
- It’s great for frizzy and curly hair.
- The gel doesn’t flake.
- It has an amazing scent.
- It moisturizes and conditions the hair.
↓ 2 – Equinox Professional Razor Edge Cutting Scissors
Hair scissors and normal scissors can never be the same. Even if your ordinary ones are sharp enough to cut through bone and muscle, they still won’t cut hair like the ones made specifically for that reason.
Rating on Amazon: 4.7/5
- These scissors are made with Japanese stainless steel.
- They are sleek, and hair is never caught between the blades.
- The length of these scissors is 6.5,” and they work great on all types of hair.
- The scissors are light so that they can be handled with ease.
- The tension can be adjusted to the user’s preference.
↓ 1 – WAHL 79434 Clipper
It’s a complete hair-cutting and trimming kit that includes different-sized guards, comb, scissors, and a rechargeable cord. This top-rated precise-cutting clipper is the ideal too for men’s hair-grooming. The product is used by professional barbers and salon-owners.
Rating on Amazon: 4.6/5
- The clipper can work cordless.
- Fully charged, the clipper’s battery lasts 60 minutes.
- The blades on each guard can be removed easily for cleaning and maintenance.
- It has 12 attachment guards.
- The kit also comes with blade-cleaning instruments.
These are the basic hair-care and grooming products every man should own. Going a step further, there’s a whole world of them that a style-conscious man can use, such as clays, glues, wax, serums, and creams. However, since this particular blog was intended for girlfriends looking to knock some sense into their boyfriends, we sincerely hope that what we’ve provided will be enough.
And that will be all! Fingers crossed that you found this article helpful in your quarantining journey with your significant other. Remember, self-isolating doesn’t necessarily mean you should compromise on style.