Best Eco-Friendly Furniture Brands. E-commerce is perhaps the most advantageous invention humankind has been blessed with. Millions and millions of operations, transactions, and exchanges are conducted via the internet every day.
So it’s quite inevitable that outfitting your home and buying furniture should be aided online as well. Online trade is the epitome of convenience; it saves time, cost, effort, and the ease of access it provides is merely irresistible. In today’s world, however, with rapidly diminishing natural resources, damage to the environment, and a rise in global warming, people have become increasingly aware of the need to create a conscious and Eco-friendly lifestyle. Luckily, hundreds of such furniture brands exist whose primary goal is to minimize the damage to natural resources, using sustainable and recycled materials.
Affordable, Environmental-Friendly Furniture Brands
Famous online furniture stores such as IKEA, Overstock, Target, and Wayfair may have great discounted furniture. Still, these brands have the added feature of being friendly to the environment, and they actively strive for the protection and sustenance of natural resources. Thus such ventures and efforts should be supported. Plus, these are some of the most stylish furniture brands in the world which don’t hurt.
What is Eco-friendly furniture?
Eco-friendly furniture is the type of furniture that has little or no negative impact on the environment. That can be achieved in the following ways:
- By using sustainable/renewable wood
- By not using chemicals that cause pollution
- By recycling materials or old furniture
- By using a bare minimum of resources
By adopting such measures as using environmentally-healthy furniture, you’re promoting green-living, which is essential in the world of today. We need to fight the growing danger to our planet on as many fronts as we can, in our own ways, no matter how big or small they may be.
Do you love doing interior designing of your home? Then check out, Hacks for Home Decor.
Benefits of Eco-friendly furniture:
These are some of the fantastic benefits of using environmentally friendly furniture:
- Such furniture is often more affordable.
- Since pollution-causing chemicals are not used, eco-friendly furniture is naturally healthy.
- It allows for a higher level of creativity and ingenuity.
- By recycling, deforestation is prevented, which is one of the major causes of global warming and the decline of the planet.
How Did We Decide:
We’ve selected some incredible sustainable furniture makers in the world, from underdogs to significant brands and sorted them by their Instagram following:
10- Eco Balanza
9- Haiku Designs
7- Viva Terra
6- Ecochic Lifestyles
3- Crate and Barrel
2- West Elm
1- Etsy Reclaimed Furniture
Etsy Reclaimed Furniture
Crate and Barrel
↓ 10 – Eco Balanza
Brand’s Portfolio: Aimee Robinson founded the brand. Eco Balanza specializes in sofas and sectionals.
Founded: 2006, Seattle, United States.
EcoBalanza has been handcrafting luxury upholstered furniture that is safe for your home or business and kind to the environment from their workshop in Seattle. The brand uses only natural, non-toxic, and 3rd party certified organic materials that are sourced locally whenever possible. Its team of skilled artisans uses old-world techniques to create each sofa, chair, ottoman, or headboard. Eco Balanza has been featured in Architectural Digest and has been praised in numerous magazines and articles over the years.
Instagram Followers: 785
Price Range: Varies (custom made)
- Their custom-design process gives an exceptional level of freedom to choose your preferences in every step, from style and configuration to the fabric used.
- The furniture is built to last.
- They use no chemical flame retardants. Instead, they use organic wool.
- Due to their customization facilities, as well as their efforts to create eco-friendly furniture, the sofas are costly, some reaching as much as $6,000.
↓ 9 – Haiku Designs
Brand’s Portfolio: Haiku designs offer furniture, natural bedding, gifts, and accessories that help consumers to create a home of beauty, balance, and harmony inspired by the Zen Aesthetic of simplicity and peace with life.
Founded: 1990, Boulder, Colorado, United States.
Haiku Designs collection of healthy, sustainable, and Eco- Friendly Furniture is one of the most extensive selections of Earth-friendly furniture and bedding products on the web. They limit their chemical use, sustainably source their materials, and go organic when possible.
Instagram Followers: 1,001
Price Range: $100 (Organic wool pillow) – $4,000 (Dining collection)
- The brand offers prompt delivery of its products.
- The furniture items are easy to assemble.
- Haiku Designs offer durable products that come with easy-to-follow instruction manuals.
- Despite being an eco-friendly furniture brand, some customers have complained of the furniture bearing ‘a strong chemical smell.’
- The multiple parts of the wood that have to be joined together show visibly upon assembly. The joints are not seamless and can be seen from far away.
- The customer service and response rate is less than satisfactory.
↓ 8 – Bambeco
Brand’s Portfolio: Bambeco is a home decor company that specializes in glassware, ceramics, wood-furniture, soft-goods, and habitats.
Founded: On Earth Day, 2008 by Susan Aplin
Every Bambeco product is crafted with care from reclaimed, recycled, natural, renewable, and organic materials-designed to take toxicity out of the home. The brand’s three core causes are Fair Wages & Safe Workplaces, Clean Water & Water Conservation and Forest Preservation & Restoration. It plants a tree in an American forest with every purchase. By 2020, the brand estimates it’ll have neutralized its carbon footprint on the planet.
Instagram Followers: 2,055
Price Range: $19 – $99 approximately
- Their glassware, made from recycled soda, is beautiful and is strong enough to withstand extreme conditions during outdoor dinings.
- The brand offers terrific bedding made of organic sheets that promote restful sleep.
- They tend to package their products expertly.
- Several customers have complained of the brand’s unresponsiveness to significant queries, as well as of receiving broken or damaged goods.
↓ 7 – Viva Terra
Brand’s Portfolio: Viva Terra, meaning “Living Earth” is a retailer with a heart and a vision for both globally-inspired modern design and goods created with sustainability and integrity in mind.
Founded: 2004, California, United States.
The self-described company values state that each item is handcrafted, artisan-made, using recycled or reclaimed material, is made using natural materials or inspired by natural forms, is made in the USA, utilizing responsibly and sustainably harvested wood.
Instagram Followers: 2,728
Price Range: $29 (Woven throw pillow) – $6,250 (Eco Linen Slipcovered Sofa)
- The designs and patterns of their products are classy yet modern.
- The brand gets its wood from plantations in Thailand. The quality and of the products made and their eco-friendliness is closely monitored.
- The dimensions provided online are sometimes incorrect.
- The seams are visible on their glassware.
- Some products have been received damaged or broken.
↓ 6 – Eco-chic Lifestyles
Brand’s Portfolio: Founded by CEO Megan Risdon in 2012, the company designs upscale interior and outdoor furniture made primarily of teak wood from reclaimed tropical fishing boats.
Founded: 2012, Vancouver, Canada.
Described in three steps as “Ocean-Swept,” “Sun-Kissed,” and “Land-Finished,” Eco-chic Lifestyles’ process begins with reclaiming hand-painted tropical-fishing boat wood, carefully selected as to include only the best non-damaged and authentic pieces. These colorfully painted pieces are then transformed by hand skillfully by the craftspeople working for Eco-Chic. Their pieces are known for their vibrancy and liveliness.
Instagram Followers: 10.7k
Price Range: $250 (Barstool) – $2,500 (Dining collection)
- The brand is perhaps one of the most ingenious and forward-thinking furniture makers in the world right now. With its unique process and vibrant and artful pieces, you won’t find another green-living brand like it elsewhere.
- The products come well-wrapped and packaged for delivery.
- The furniture pieces are sturdy and heavy, their colors lively.
- The furniture is long-lasting and durable.
- The descriptions of the products are sometimes faulty.
- The brand uses reclaimed wood, so there might be some slight defects in the wood.
↓ 5 – 2Modern
Brand’s Portfolio: 2Modern is an independently grown leading retailer of modern furniture, lighting, and home accessories.
Founded: 2003, United States.
2Modern works with several brands and designers, ensuring the availability of unique and one-of-a-kind pieces. It has a 30-day return policy as well as free shipping on orders above $49. It also highlights designers that utilize Eco-friendly materials.
Instagram Followers: 12.8k
Price Range: Varies by designer
Eco-designers and Brands on 2Modern: Staygreen, Hinterland, Copeland Furniture
- Compared with other furniture brands and retailers, 2Modern offers substantially cheaper alternatives.
- The quality of their products is excellent.
- The website offers free shipping, which cuts a lot of expenditure.
- They give discounts on large orders.
- 2Modern has questionable customer service.
- They do not always ship on time.
- The shipping costs are advertised rates are inaccurately described.
- The retailer has been known to send damaged goods.
↓ 4 – Inmod
Brand’s Portfolio: Inmod was founded out of a passion for iconic modern design and a bold determination to bring it to the masses. Inmod offers thousands of furniture, lighting, and décor items to home & contract markets, including an exclusive collection of world-renowned mid-century iconic replicas.
Founded: 2003, United States.
Its products have been featured in countless films, commercials, online and printed media publications. The brand has been recognized for three consecutive years as one of the fastest-growing companies in America by INC500|5000, and a top online store by Internet Retailer.
Instagram Followers: 35.9k
Price Range: $50 (Wooden storage cube) – $2,250 (Bamboo bed)
- The website is well-organized and easy to navigate.
- Their products are reasonably priced.
- Their customer service is excellent and well-appreciated.
- They also offer free shipping on some of their products.
- The shipments sometimes get delayed.
- Customers have reportedly received damaged goods on several occasions.
↓ 3 – Crate & Barrel
Brand’s Portfolio: Today, Crate and Barrel is a privately held company owned by the Otto Group of Hamburg, Germany, the second-largest online retailer worldwide.
Founded: 1962, Chicago, United States.
Special features include the brand being Eco-friendly, FSC-certified, and using reclaimed wood and sustainable bamboo for their pieces.
Instagram Followers: 1.7m
Price Range: $50 (Wood dining chair) – $2,600 (Dining room table)
- Their designs are trendy enough that they don’t go out of fashion even when trends change.
- They have something for everything, and it’s all reasonably priced.
- The descriptions available are sometimes misleading.
- The delivery time is long; it takes up to 4-6 weeks.
- The online shopping experience by Crate and Barrel is less-than-satisfactory due to multiple reasons like shipping time, damaged products, inaccurate information, etc.
- Customer service is deplorable.
↓ 2 – West Elm
Brand’s Portfolio: A branch of Williams–Sonoma, Inc, West Elm is focused on the intersection of modern design, affordability, and community.
Founded: 2002, Brooklyn, New York, United States.
Over 90% of their products are exclusive and designed in-house, increasing their collection of organic, handcrafted, sustainably sourced, and Fair Trade Certified™ products. Their handcrafted products are sourced from a network of 35+ artisan groups in 15 countries, employing nearly 5,000 makers.
Instagram Followers: 2.2m
Price Range: $99 (Nightstand) – $2,600 (6-Piece media set)
- The furniture is comfortable and stylish.
- The sofas are upholstered by hand, which ensures their quality.
- Their in-store customer service is excellent.
- The online customer service is terrible.
- Some customers have claimed that the wood used in the furniture isn’t real wood because it splinters quickly.
- The vegan leather used by the brand fades in color eventually.
↓ 1 – Etsy Reclaimed Furniture
Brand’s Portfolio: Etsy is an e-commerce website focused on handmade and vintage items and supplies, as well as unique factory-manufactured items.
Founded: June 18, 2005, Brooklyn, New York, United States.
Etsy is a haven for artists around the world. Re-purposed and reclaimed furniture can be found easily on the website. Sellers from around the world showcase their talents there so you can come across something unique and stylish to fit your needs and tastes. Etsy is also a certified B-Corp. When you see the Certified B Corporation logo, you know the business behind the product or service has been verified by a trusted third party to have a positive impact on society and the environment.
Instagram Followers: 2.2m
Price Range: Varies by seller
Popular Reclaimed Furniture Stores on Etsy: Birdloft, HurdandHoney
- Since Etsy features hundreds of sellers offering unique, handcrafted furniture, it’s easy to find almost anything according to your tastes there.
- The variety on the website is staggeringly amazing.
- They offer unique pieces that are not available anywhere.
- The website is professional, secure, and easy to navigate.
- Sellers are sometimes unresponsive to messages and complaints by customers.
We hope you found this article informative and helped you along in choosing the best furniture for creating a healthy home!