Best affordable massagers 2023: Stress and workload are the primary reasons why most of us suffer from chronic pain. Tense shoulders, stiff backs, sore necks and stiffness in muscles are something we have learned to function with daily. However, you should not.
Either you should visit a chiropractor if the symptoms are severe or if they are mild, you can order a massager to treat that stiffness or muscle pain at home. That said, we have gathered a list of affordable massagers available in 2023 to help you with your purchase.
- Things to Consider When Purchasing a Massager
- 1. Best Overall: Hyperice Hypervolt
- 2. Best Budget Massager: Handheld 4 Wheels Wooden Body Massage Roller
- 3. Best for Shoulder Massage: Naipo Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager
- 4. Best Neck Massager: Viktor Jurgen Neck Massage Pillow
- 5. Best Lower Back Massager: Zyllion Neck Kneading Massage Pillow
- 6. Best Cordless Massager: GENIANI Deep Tissue Massager
- 7. Best Foam Roller Massager: TriggerPoint Grid Patented Multi-Density Foam Massage Roller
- 8. Best for Self-Massage Massager: Thera Cane Massager
- 9. Best Portable Massager: FitRx Percussion Mini Massager
- 10. Best Features Massager: MillonEssentials V2PRO Deep Tissue Massage Gun
But first, have a look at what essential factors you should consider when purchasing a massager online.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Massager
Manual vs. Powered Massagers- The right pick for you!
There are several deep-tissue massagers available in both manual and powered options. Some powered variants do come with a rechargeable battery or one that needs to be kept plugged in during use. On the contrary, when you use a manual massager, it is you who decides the pressure and direction of the device. Manual devices can be beneficial in removing a knot from your muscles.
Battery Powered Massagers
If you decide to invest in a battery-powered massager, find out how long does the battery last on a single charge. Some cheaply produced devices run out of power in 30 minutes. Invest in a massager that can at least give you 2-6 hours of run-time on a full charge. If you are going to use it for yourself, only then a 2-hour of run-time machine would suffice. But if there are multiple people from your family going to share the massager with you, get yourself at least a 6-hour lasting one.
Percussive Therapy with Deep-tissue Massagers
Most of deep-tissue massagers use percussive therapy. What percussive therapy does is, it directs the blood flow to the muscles with rapid pulsating movements to alleviate pain and tension. Deep-tissue massage guns are a good example of a deep-tissue massager that uses percussion.
Size of the Massager
Size is an important thing to consider when purchasing a massager. If you are always traveling, you might want to invest in a portable massager that can fit into your bag. Always check the dimensions of the machine you want to order in the product description so you are sure if it will fit well into your travel bag.
Finally, a little food for thought, you need to consider why you need a massager. Why is your body hurting? If the pain is mostly seen after workouts, it could be because of a wrong workout routine or even something as simple as not wearing the right sports bra. Similarly if you need a massager after coming back from work, it could be because of bad posture and you might be in need of an office renovation. So think about this too and try getting to the root cause of your pain.
Now let’s have a look at our chosen products:
1. Best Overall: Hyperice Hypervolt
This device uses state-of-the-art percussive technology to relieve muscles from stiffness and tension. There are three-speed settings that can deliver up to 3,200 percussions per minute. And there is absolutely no noise.
Hyperice Hypervolt can be controlled via Hyperice App through Bluetooth, which helps you choose between customized massages and recovery programs. Moreover, the lithium-ion battery on a full charge can give you 3 hours of ultra-relaxing massage.
- 3 speed settings
- Get up to 3,200 percussions per minute
- Can be connected to Hyperice App via Bluetooth
- Comes with 5 attachments
- Bluetooth compatibility is with IOS only
- Heavy around 2.5 lbs
2. Best Budget Massager: Handheld 4 Wheels Wooden Body Massage Roller
If you are looking for an affordable massager that would not cost you an arm and a leg, then check out his wooden 4-wheel massager. You can have a deep-tissue massage by applying pressure from your hands to nearly anywhere on your body to increase blood and send oxygen to your muscles.
- Can be used on any part of the body
- Portable and lightweight
- Has a short handle
3. Best for Shoulder Massage: Naipo Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager
Suffering from shoulder tension? Try this shoulder and neck massager that drapes over your shoulders and uses 8 kneading nodes to get deep into your muscles. This device also has a heated mode for soothing massage therapy.
- Hands-free design
- Has different intensity levels and adjustable direction
- Features a heated mode
- Automatic shut-off
- Needs to be plugged in
- Heavy- 4.1 lbs
4. Best Neck Massager: Viktor Jurgen Neck Massage Pillow
Reach out to Victor Jurgen if you are suffering from a stiff neck. The rotating nodes hit you at all the right places to relieve you from the discomfort you might have from long hours of working on the computer. You can literally enjoy a deep-tissue Shiatsu massage with a heated function to soothe aches and pains in any targeted area such as the neck, shoulder, calves etc.
- Comes with a dust cover
- Is small and portable (2.9 lbs)
- Features a heated mode
- Economically priced
- You cannot adjust the intensity
- Direction of massage cannot be controlled
5. Best Lower Back Massager: Zyllion Neck Kneading Massage Pillow
Most adults have lower back pain issues mainly due to having a habit of arching their back, improper posture or lifting heavy objects. The Zyllion Shiatsu Back and Neck Massager comes with a heated pad that provides relief from pain while the 4 massage kneading rolling balls alleviate muscle tension from your lower back.
- Provides relaxing experience for overworked muscles
- It is small and portable ( 4lbs)
- Can be strapped on to hold it in place
- Can be used on the neck, back, lower back and calves
- No adjustments to control intensity and direction
- Needs to be plugged in to be used
6. Best Cordless Massager: GENIANI Deep Tissue Massager
Seeking a cordless massager that uses percussive therapy? You should try the Geniani Rock Cordless Electric Muscle Massager. This device is capable of providing two hours of deep-tissue massage on a full charge of its lithium-ion battery. Moreover, there are three operating modes which can give you up to 37000 taps/minute while staying quiet.
- Adjustable speed intensity
- 6 operating modes
- A full charge lasts 120 mins
- Quitely functions
- Slightly heavy to hold (3.4 lbs)
7. Best Foam Roller Massager: TriggerPoint Grid Patented Multi-Density Foam Massage Roller
In the world of foam rolling, TriggerPoint is a well-known brand. Those who are sports enthusiast adore their GRID 1.0 for at-home sports therapy. This rolling form features an EVA-covered gridded exterior and a hollow core. The foam is durable to support 500 lbs of weight while maintaining its shape. There are online instructional videos available on the internet that you can follow to remove knots and muscle tension from your body.
- Firm but not uncomfortably hard
- The durable design can withstand a weight of max 500 lbs
- The gridded exterior provides an anti-slip grip
- Extremely light-weight (1.3 lbs)
- Cannot be used on all parts of the body
8. Best for Self-Massage Massager: Thera Cane Massager
You can use the ergonomically designed Thera Cane massager to remove the knots in hard-to-reach knots in your back. The four balls at the ends of the massager and two nodes at the cane-shaped massager can relieve you from aches throughout your back. Moreover, you can control the amount of pressure with your hand and target those sore muscles.
- Helps to target hard-to-reach back area
- Perfect for self-massage
- Extremely affordable
- Weighs only a 1 lbs
- Because of its awkward shape, it is harder to store
9. Best Portable Massager: FitRx Percussion Mini Massager
Need a massager that is so discrete and small that you can carry it with you to work, the gym, the park or anywhere you are heading? If so, you can’t go wrong with the FitRx. It is an on-the-go massager that is merely 6.5 inches in size and weighs 1.8 lbs. It can literally fit in your pocket.
This tiny machine can be charged with a USB power cord and run for up to 2 hours while providing you with 26000 percussions per minute.
- Can fit in a pocket
- Delivers up to 2,600 percussions per minute
- Has four different massage heads
- Poor grip
10. Best Features Massager: MillonEssentials V2PRO Deep Tissue Massage Gun
If you want to invest in one massager that has the features to target every tiny part of your body without emptying your bank then check out the Million Essentials V2Pro Deep Tissue Massage Gun. It can offer up to 32000 percussions per minute and up to 6 hours of massage on a full charge.
It offers beneficial features such as a smart AI chip, an LCD touch screen for easy customization, a high-powered brushless motor and ten interchangeable massage heads. Each head is targeted to address aches and tensions from different parts of your body. Also, you get a 1-year warranty with your purchase.
- Up to 3,200 percussions per minute
- 6 hours of massage at a full charge
- Touchscreen LCD to customize the massage session
- Great value for money
- Travel-friendly (2.6 lbs)
- Does not come with a power pack
Q. Do back massagers actually work?
Yes, a right massager can relieve the pain and aid muscle recovery by enhancing blood circulation.
Q. Is it good to use a massager everyday?
It highly depends on your medical condition. But if you are looking for wellness and relaxation, you can use a massager daily to enjoy a relaxing massage.
Q. Are vibrating massagers effective?
Yes! A vibrating massager uses percussive therapy to increase blood circulation to your muscles and alleviate pain.