Best Retirement Party Ideas: Parties are something that all of us enjoy, even the introverts, as long as they are with the right people. There is no set age to throw and be a part of a good party. Our life without parties and get-togethers would be pretty dull. They open your eyes to diversity – whether it is people, environment, or creativity. It allows for different people to meet, hang out, socialize and develop bonds. Some of the people you make small talk with at a party can prove to be some of your closest confidants and friends.
However not all parties carry only the sparks of happiness and joy, they contain plenty of tears and emotional hugs as well. Some of the parties are meant to cherish the last moments between you and your closest peers.
This is why retirement parties are special. They are a form of tribute to the person retiring, to show them gratitude for their service and dedication. And they must be celebrated as it will be the final chance for all delegates, co-workers, and batch mates to bid farewell to their retiring boss, friend, or teacher.
How To Organise The Best Retirement Party Step-by-Step?
- First and foremost, make sure you arrange everything surrounding the person whom you are hosting the retirement party for. Remember, they are the main center of attention.
- Next, you will need to decide whether it will be an indoor party or an outdoor party. Check the weather forecast in advance and keep in mind the time of the day you want the party. You will have to tell the guests in advance too so they choose clothes accordingly.
- Next, carefully select your theme and arrange all the necessary supplies needed. You should not rush it or it would look chaotic.
- Decide about how you are going to spend that time together. Choose whether you will be playing games, watching a movie, sharing stories, etc. Do not make the mistake of inviting people over without planning what they will be doing in those few hours. This will avoid boredom and awkwardness.
- Food and drinks are the most important part of a party so decide beforehand whether you will be making the food at home or ordering it from outside. You even have the choice of asking all the guests to bring a homemade dish each. This will result in joint affection being shared.
- Call everyone on your guest list a week prior. Surely, you want to avoid the risk of them dropping out last minute because you informed them too late and now they cannot change their schedule.
- Take lots and lots of pictures! Pictures are worth a thousand words and they help us reminisce some of the best moments of our life.
Also, have a look at 10 Best Moving Away Party Ideas In 2021- Best Party Themes.
10 Best Retirement Party Themes
Going away parties are very important for the parting friends and family. They make up for the last moments your departing friends will spend with you. Therefore, you need to make sure you throw them a well-planned thoughtful party that they will remember for the rest of their lives. If you are wondering how to, when to or where to throw a retirement party for someone, keep on reading this article!
↓ 10 – Extravagant Lunch For Retiring Couple
Who does not love a well-coordinated beautiful lunch or dinner solely dedicated to them? If your parents, your close family members, or even friends are retiring, this is your chance to put a smile on their face by hosting them a lunch. You can invite all their close peers and it will be a day to remember.
↓ 9 – Celebrating the Perennial 60
60 is a very special year for mature people. In most countries, it is the age where most people retire from their working jobs. In other cases, 60 marks the milestone of reaching the end of a socially constructed life. Thus, after 60, your life is your own! You find new activities and hobbies to keep you happy, you finally focus on bettering your lifestyle and give high value to non-materialistic things. Therefore, it is very important to throw your loved ones a party when they turn 60.
What you will need for this theme:
- Giant Marquee numbers are the most important part of the decor as they emphasize your theme. So you need to arrange for them beforehand.
- Balloon garland in baby pink, gold, and light grey. All of these colors spread a calling aura of their own.
- A cake, celebrating retirement. All of these items are important retirement party decorations.
↓ 8 – Simple Retirement Party At Home
Not all of us can invest so much money in a luxury retirement party. Some of us want to keep it sweet and simple. Since a retirement party is the opportunity to celebrate the retiree’s past accomplishments as well as their future endeavors, the celebration I’m itself will count more than the extravagance. This theme can be executed at any corner of your house, with supplies easily found at your local store.
How to execute this theme:
- Choose a corner of your house where you want to celebrate. Make sure there is a plain wall that you can use for a backdrop.
- Get some shimmery and glittery bunting banners that you will hang on the wall.
- Make a DIY colorful banner with ‘Congratulations on your Retirement’ written on it.
- Arrange for homemade snacks such as cupcakes and muffins. Sweets are just the perfect way to brighten up the event!
- The most special element of this theme should be the handmade card containing well wishes from all house members. Place the card along with the sweets to make your party look more wholesome.
↓ 7 – Festive Black and Gold Retirement Party Theme
This is another grande celebration for your beloved retirees. This theme includes color coordination of black, warm white, and golden; an ethereal combination. With the help of w few people, you can set this theme up yourself at home. If it feels like too much work, you always have the option of calling an event planner to do the job for you. This theme is unique because it merges black and gold, two contrasting colors. This will add sobriety to the party, as well as the required glam. It will set the perfect mood for the entire event.
↓ 6 – Back To The Birthyear Of The Retiree
You can have loads of fun with this theme, as it is both interesting and creative. To execute this theme, you would need to choose one of the previous eras such as the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s, etc. Then you will plan the whole theme around the key components of that era such as clothing, decor, and music. You should send out sparkly invitations, ask everyone to dress up according to the theme and create a video montage for the retiree with psychedelic visuals such as those used in the eras before. You can also serve drinks and food items that were popular in those times. This theme will surely bring a sense of nostalgia to everyone.
↓ 5 – Picnic Retirement Celebration
Assuming you live in a space with a consistently excellent climate, arranging a retirement party in nature is one of the best ideas ever. You can have everyone bring a meal each or make a celebrational vibe with food trucks. But let us remind you, picnics are not only limited to daylight, you can also have a retirement party picnic in the evening, under the stars. Remember, as long as the climate is acceptable, you will all have a good time.
↓ 4 – Bon Voyage Party Theme
The phrase ‘born voyage’ is originated in French which means ‘safe travels’. Now, people all around the globe use it as a way to express their heartwarming wishes for their friends and family starting a new journey. therefore, it is a perfect retirement-themed party for your fellow retiree embarking on a new journey. This theme is a very simple and convenient one, it can be put together last minute and set up in any corner of the house. It does not call for any extravagant supplies or hard work.
↓ 3 – Virtual Retirement Party
These parties are increasingly common in today’s age. This is because the existence of the internet has made it easy for us to communicate globally. You can arrange a virtual going away party for fellow retirees and add as many friends to the call as you wish. All they would need is stable internet and an hour of their schedule. It will make for a wonderful time.
Virtual retirement parties are also important because sometimes people in old age do not feel too active to go out and spend hours partying. Online parties allow them to participate in their celebration in the comfort of their homes, without putting extra effort into the whole ordeal.
How do you do a virtual retirement party?
- Arrange a meeting on Skype or Zoom. You can also use the last meeting with your retiring boss, to your advantage. It will come off as a surprise to them.
- Play video montage for the guest of honor. You can also ask other peers to send audio voice notes sending their good wishes.
- You can also deliver short speeches, thanking the retiring person for their service.
- Ask everyone to share their favorite moments with the retiree. Hearing these memories will make the guest of honor feel genuinely happy.
- Virtual retirement party games can also be played. They can be easily found online.
↓ 2 – What Activities To Do in A Retirement Party?
It is the host’s responsibility to plan fun retirement party games and activities. They need to come up with such activities which can involve everyone, spark enjoyment and bring the retiree into the limelight. All games need to be carefully planned. A personal touch would be appreciated to make everyone feel at home.
– Prediction Bingo!
This is a very energizing game, filled with lots of laughter. Every guest will predict what the retiree will do after the retirement. They will take turns and share their predictions which can be obvious, comical, and heartwarming. This will make the retiree feel special and also give them ideas of what they can do after retirement.
– ‘How well do you know the retiree’ Trivia
For this game, write down as many facts about the retiree as possible, including some facts that are not true. Start the game by telling someone one of these facts then asking if they think this is true or not. The winner of the game guesses the most facts correctly true or not true. You can give the winner a prize too, to spice up the game.
What better way to make sure everyone remembers this time than taking pictures? But of course, you need to make sure that you have the right props to make the photos memorable. You can create a variety of photo props yourself or order them online. Either way, this fun activity will keep the boredom miles away from your party!
↓ 1 – Retirement Party Gifts
Since retirees will have all of this time to themselves, you need to gift them something that can bring convenience to them through this new journey. We have a few handy suggestions for you.
– Custom Retirement Box
Gift boxes are magical, hence, the perfect way to shower your loved ones with affection. Custom gift boxes can include almost anything, and it is for you to decide what you want to add to it. You can add a small planter holding a flower, a wristwatch, a comfortable t-shirt, and perfume. Make sure anything you include in the box is something that the receiver can use after retiring.
– Personalized Travel Journal
Most people after retiring make sure they travel all the places they wanted to but never could before. Therefore, they would appreciate it if they got some extra help with their travel plans. For this gift, you would need to buy a journal. Next, you have to add locations and maps of must-see places along with their pictures. This gift is the kind that will be kept for years to come because of its preciousness.
– Gardening Gift Box
Gardening is a hobby that cleanses the mind and soul. Most people after retiring resolved to garden hobbies because it makes them feel stress-free. This is why gifting retirees a gardening box is a useful gift because it will motivate them to engage in a refreshing hobby, even if they were not previously interested in it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do you make a retirement party special?
A: Speeches, games, taking pictures, and sharing wholesome memories are what make your retirement party special.
Q: What are some good retirement quotes?
A: Some of our favorite retirement quotes are:
- Retirement is the only time in your life when time no longer equals money.
- Now Fridays aren’t the best day of the week anymore, they all are!
- Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before.
Q: What colours are good for a retirement party?
A: Decent colours like black, beige, white and grey are usually the best for a retirment party as they symolize sophistication and classiness. It can also depend on the person for whom you are throwing the party. If that person is all loud and joyful you may go for shades like yellow, blue, indigo etc.
Q: What are some best retirement party ideas in covid?
A: Covid has changed everything and people can’t enjoy or celebrate retirement with closed ones. Covid has already made it a lot lonely and retirement can add more to it. So, some of the best retirment party ideas covid include throwing a virtual party and dressing up to the best while showing up on skype. You guys can toast to speical moments and make the best out of a covid retirement.